May 20th, CAcert has started the Software-Testers Reward Challenge 2011
The Software-Testers Reward Challenge 2011 is now running the last two days. So its your last chance to climb into the hall of fame.
The Software-Testers Reward Challenge will end Thursday, June 30th at midnight.
The software tester with the highest count of reports written related to the listed bugs under the Tester Portal receives a reward of 30 Euro. The 2nd one a reward of 15 Euro.
Each report under the listed bug numbers counts 🙂
Since Tuesday we have at least two new bugs added to the testserver that you can start testing:
- Bug #942
0000942: CATS import interface is not fit to handle non-Assurer Challenge tests
- Bug #948
0000948: Email address verification violates SMTP protocol
- For Bug #827
there is addtl. info available under wiki bug827 infos
Dear CAcert Supporters,
To become Audit Ready, CAcert is heavyly depended on a working Software-Assessment team.
The Software-Assessment team is depended on an active Software-Testteam.
We’ve just started our this years Easter Egg Challenge … We’ve put a couple of patches on to our testserver CACERT1 for you, our fellow and our new Software testers. We’ve put light to heavy patches to the package so everybody is able to walk thru the testserver web pages and search our Easter Egg’s.
Within the last 2 days, the testserver got the running signer integration into the testserver environment. This was one of the milestones in getting a testing environment as identical as possible to the production system.
We had received a couple of reports by either irc, emails to support or on mailing lists, that the Russian Translation of our CAcert.org Website has garbled Russian translations. This has been reported as Bug #900.
After several analyzes, tests, discussions, we came to the conclusion, that we need an overall UTF-8 upgrade of the critical system. This has to be started as an individual project. As this project doesn’t effects our great efforts on Audit, the priority is lowered against several other Audit essential projects. So currently, there is no easy and no quick fix possible. So we, or better to say Michael V. A. (one of the bug reporters) worked out an workaround:
the exact steps to reproduce both the problem and the workaround:
1. The Bug
http://CAcert.org [^] / Translations / ???????
( http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=0&lang=ru_RU )
Now the text is garbled (“Western ISO-8859-1” autodetected).
2. The Workaround
Switching to ISO-8859-5.
In my browser (Firefox 3.6.13) it’s exactly the following:
View / Character Encoding / More Encodings
/ East European / Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)
Now all Russian text is okay.
The workaround works for me.
Yes, I think this should work for other users, as well.
- Booth (Sat + Sun)
- Assurance Party (Sun 12:00-14:00, Room: Ferrer)
- Keysigning Party (Sun 12:00-14:00, Room: Ferrer)
If you want to help on our booth, register yourself on our events wiki page Fosdem 2011 planning
CU at Fosdem ….
Todays systemlog message marks the quantum leap in our about 10 months project work, to become the Software-Assessment area auditable.
As many Software-Updates are in the queue from the software developers, that needs testing and reviews by Software Assessors, the team started by end of last year with this project,
- to build up a new ”controlled” testserver with authority by Software-Assessors
- built up by the critical team as a Disaster Recovery testcase
- a new central repository for all the upcoming software projects (including the New Software project BirdShack)
- building a new test team running the software tests
- and finalyze the process by a review of the patches by 2 Software-Assessors
- document the patches, the testing, the review and the check by two Software-Assessors
- to bundle the new Software-revision for transfer to the Critical team
The systemlog message signals, that the first tested and reviewed patches has received by the critical system webdb and is incorporated into production. A new tarball has been generated to build the next basis for applying the next patches.
So here my thanks goes to all the involved teams,
- Software-Assessment-Project team
- the new Software Testteam
- the Critical Sysadmins team
- and last but not least to the Software-Assessors from the Software-Assessment team
With all these people assistance, this project hadn’t be pushed to this milestone. Thank you Andreas, to build the project plan and the technical background, and also hosting the current testserver, Thank you Wytze for all your work to build the new testserver from scratch as identical as possible to the production server, to Michael, who assist us in deploying the new git repository and also assistance in deploying the Testserver-Mgmt-System, so everybody can start testing w/o the need of console access, Thank you Markus, for all your time and effort to deploy the repository and testserver environment and also your work together with Philipp as Software-Assessor, to finalyze the Software-Update-Cycle. Thank you Dirk for all your suggestions to move on with this project.
Some more work is todo:
- adding a test-signer, so also cert related patches can be tested in the future (Andreas and Markus are working on this)
- deploying a C(ontinous)I(ntegration) system for automated testing (Andreas is working on this).
Now the teams have to walk thru the list of open bugs, that needs to be pushed thru … First of all is the “Thawte” bug … to signal all users who’ve got their Thawte points transfered by the old Tverify program if they are effected by the points removal or if they are safe. The CCA-Rollout with a couple of patches, a list of new Policies and Subpolicies related patches (eg. PoJAM, TTP program), a list of Arbitration pushed patches, and so on …
So guys, lets have a party tonight, we’ve wiped out one of the biggest audit blockers!